Monday, April 03, 2006

Aint No Sunshine...

Usually, at the time I wake up, even the chickens are still asleep. Warm, cozy, still snoozing in their little chicken beds. I envy those sleeping chickens. It's against this human's nature to have to crawl out of bed before the sun even appears in the sky 5 days a week. Last week was so enjoyable. Each morning I woke up to find the sunlight pouring through my bedroom window. I was excited. I didn’t mind getting out of bed to see what the day held for me. Finally, I was getting out of bed later than the freakin chickens!

When the alarm went off this morning, I opened my eyes to find that my sunshine was gone. I rolled over and took out my frustration on the poor alarm clock. I went to the kitchen and stood there…watching the coffee brew. It took a few minutes to realize that I could actually pick up the coffee pot and pour a cup before it finished brewing. Not a good sign. Once again, I cursed the chickens as I put on my make-up. To make things worse, it had started to rain. The thunder and lightning only made me wish I was back in bed…under the covers…the way a thunderstorm should be enjoyed.

I decided I couldn’t deal with work in my still sleepy state and went to have a smoke. I walked toward the door wondering if daylight savings was still necessary. I’m sure it was pertinent when Ben Franklin conceived the notion but did it really still apply today? I mean if you really need an extra hour of light each day couldn’t YOU just get up an hour earlier and let the rest of US maintain our schedules? What is this…a show of solidarity? 'Cuz I’d like to opt out. I took a hit off my cigarette and started to feel a little better. Suddenly, I was blinded by a bright white light so close that I took a step back out of sheer instinct. Then I smelled something burning. Crap! I’ve been hit by lightning! Funny, I felt ok. Wait…Oh, yeah…the cigarette. After I regained my composure, I had to laugh at the irony. I guess old Ben's a little sensitive about the whole issue.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

i know JUST what you mean...I get up at about 5:00 every morning.

It sucks.

11:08 AM  
Blogger xwy said...

I get up around 6. I bow to you for getting up at 5! I saw in a post that you get up at 4 when you workout. You have permission to cuss out me & the chickens for still being in bed on those days.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home