Thursday, April 27, 2006

Covering your Backside

I’m curious…what happened to personal accountability? When did it become obsolete? I must have missed that headline. I really think I would have read an article with the headline, “OK to CYA when you Feck* Up”.

I’ve always been the kind of person to say, “Hey, I made a mistake”. I’ve found that people generally respect that more than the double-talk or outright lies associated with trying to cover your butt. You might get away with double-talk once or twice. If you’re really good at concocting outrageous lies, you might even buy yourself 4 or 5 quick escapes but eventually, the truth becomes apparent. I know you’re covering your butt. You know you’re covering your butt. Can’t we just level with each other?

There’s nothing wrong with admitting you made a mistake. We’re humans. We’re programmed to make mistakes every once in a while. Some of us, obviously, are programmed to do it more often than others. But it’s a fault designed to prevent us from thinking were some type of god to be worshipped by all around us.

Think of how much money and time we would save on government inquiries alone if people would just admit to their mistakes.

“Bill, did you let that intern give you a mouth hug?”
“Yep, I fecked up”

See, it’s so much simpler. Of course, I’m sure Hillary wanted a more detailed explanation but you get my point.

And our personal lives? Think of all the time saved there…. “Honey, did you leave the toilet seat up?” “Yep, I fecked up.” See, no 3 hour argument over how exactly the toilet seat managed to get into the upright position.

And guys, wouldn’t you like to avoid arguments with the girlfriend over why you didn’t call? No more time wasted working on creative answers like “Honey, I had the bird flu last night and couldn’t reach the telephone in my weakened state”. [Sorry, got a little carried away. This might be asking too much].

And at work? If more people would own up to their mistakes at work, I’d have more time to write creative, thought-provoking posts instead of throwing up crap like this. Of course, I'd also be out of a job.

The next time you feel the need to CYA, stop and own up to it. I promise you’ll feel much better. Of course, if you get indicted, divorced, slapped or fired, just remember it was only a suggestion.



*Use of the word feck has been officially licensed to Grant for the remainder of eternity. I borrowed it because I don’t like to use the real word in civilized conversation and I’m not creative enough to come up with my own word. All hail Grant.

9 Comments:

Blogger Seven said...

Feck Grant, he's insane.

Oops; I fecked up! Sorry Grant.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Seven said...

Wait a minute. I think I signed up with Grant to go kick France's ass; just the two of us and France is in big fecking trouble now.
So that makes us teammates; guess I must be insane too!

1:23 PM  
Blogger Grant said...

I borrowed "feck" from the Irish, who can get away with cursing on public TV by slightly modifying the standard curses. "Feck! Arse! Shite!"

When I was in the Army, I learned very quickly that it's considered a weakness to admit a mistake, no matter how blatantly obvious. If an officer watched you feck up and you tried to deny your involvement and offer up a lame excuse, they at least showed a begrudging respect at the attempt. Whereas when I admitted my error, I got in trouble for making two mistakes. I had to retrain myself to be honest after I got out.

I think the lack of personal accountability in civilian life is partially due to all the successful lawsuits.

1:35 PM  
Blogger xwy said...

Rick - Not insane since it's only France. If you had signed up to kick any other country, I'd say my good-bye's to you both now.

Grant - I agree about the lawsuits. Well, that is, until the first time it happens to me and then I'll sue them all for not protecting me from myself.

*I heard the first rule of blogging was to give other bloggers credit where due. Had I known, I would have given credit to the entire country of Ireland...or not, Feck em.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Oops....my bad.

I used the real thing today in my post...:)

And you're right about the whole "fess up" thing! How much simplier life would be if we all fessed up, huh?

9:28 AM  
Blogger xwy said...

Doc - LOL. I hadn't thought about that scenario....maybe that should have been the original sin???

PQ - Fuck, Fuck, Fuck. I just wanted to steal Feck from Grant.

Rick - Don't feel bad...he roped me into leading a revolt against Hallmark to recognize National Grunt Day.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

haha, I was just reading Grant earlier (yes I'm one of his lurkers *hangs head*) and was quite taken with the word "feck" myself lol

Anyway, you're right when it comes to fessing up...what's the point in wasting all that time and energy arguing about something that can be trivial. Much easier to admit you've been wrong to begin with.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Monogram Queen said...

I commented on Feck to him, it makes me giggle! Ah gotta love those irish!

9:17 AM  
Blogger xwy said...

Denny - Ah, the situational usage of feck vs. fuck. I get the feeling, if the mood struck, you'd whack him with your cane even if he didn't use either word.

Lisa - Naughty girl! I knew you were a lurker. It's ok, I am too!

Cakes - I know. I think that's why I stole it. It makes me laugh but my real world friends look at me funny when I say it. I think it only works in blogland.

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home