Sunday, April 30, 2006

I See You

Lisa wrote a comment the other day stating that she had been lurking on someone’s blog. Lurking, reading but not commenting, is the equivalent of being a “peeping Tom” in blogland. Admittedly, I have lurked on other blogs and taken a brief walk through a stranger’s thoughts. I'm a pervert...I know. Many times I lurk on a new blog for a few days before I decide whether to leave a comment. Sometimes it takes a few posts to determine if you can relate to someone and their experiences or to figure out their sense of humor. Some bloggers take great offense to this. If you’re going to stop by and read their innermost thoughts, you had better leave a comment. I saw one blogger who wrote a post stating that she knew people were lurking on her blog; that “she had ways of tracking them” and “I know who you are”. I think she was kidding. Well, I hope she was kidding. I wanted to read some of her other posts to figure out if this was just her sense of humor but, after reading that, ummm….no. Besides, she had ways of tracking me.

I have given my blog address to a few people I know who have never commented. Some tell me they read it. Some don’t. Some possibly lurk. I guess if I was curious enough I’d fork out some money to a stat counter program that would provide the name, address, social security number, pet’s name, and favorite brand of toilet paper of everyone who reads my blog. Eh *shrug*...maybe…some day.

Personally, I don’t get offended by lurkers. Some people comment on posts. Some don’t. Maybe they can’t come up with a better response than “Yep” or can’t relate to the situation. If I'm willing to write my thoughts on the internet and not block the URL, then I might as well stand naked in front of the window. An invitation to peep, if you will. So…lurk away. Just do me a favor and don’t all do it on the same day or I’ll think no one likes me anymore ;)

How do you feel about lurkers on your blog?

12 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Ooooo, that's MY name up there in little purple lights! Well ok, not lights but hey, it's still my name and I appreciate you putting it there, cos afterall, it's all about me...well not your blog, but mine...oh dear...anyone got a shovel??

I think you're right about the lurkers not knowing what to say in the comments. Sometimes they feel the only thing they've got to say is dumb or they can't relate to what you've written.

I used to get frustrated with readers that didn't comment...I would wonder why they just dropped by and then didn't say anything. That was a while ago now...now I have a statcounter and know they're there and where they came from and their IP addresses etc...and am collating information to launch a raid with balaclavas and bazookas galore.

Just kidding...kinda

1:49 AM  
Blogger xwy said...

Ooooo, bazookas! Count me in! I love a good gunfight ;)

I wonder if lurkers, the kind that never comment, are afraid to "join the party" so to speak.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Seven said...

Stormy,
I have a stat counter and I know there are many that visit my posts but never leave a commnet. Sometimes thay will talk about a post in a real world conversaton with me. I guess its OK; sort of the same as the folks that listen to a conversation but don't join in?
I think Lisa has a good point too. They might not have any input they think is worth sharing or maybe they find me boring.
Hmmm....my commments get too long?

9:04 AM  
Blogger Monogram Queen said...

I don't mind lurkers at all,I write for me but I do love to read comments and appreciate everyone who leaves them

9:14 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Lurkers don't bother me at all...I could care less if they want to read and not comment.

Who knows WHO it could be? Maybe someone famous? Maybe someone who LOVES your writing and is thinking about making you a multi-million dollar deal to write a column for the New York Times of another huge paper?

(See, this is where that vivid imagination I blogged about this morning comes in to play. It's always nice to dream, right?;)

9:23 AM  
Blogger xwy said...

Denny - I'm glad you clarified...I thought you were calling me a fish. Whew!

Rick - Remember Ruiz...nothing others do is because of you. Besides, who on earth would think you're boring?

Cakes - Me too! I was so scared at first that no one would comment. Now I look forward to hearing everyone one's opinions.

PQ - I prefer to think that Mr. Right is out there lurking. Waiting for the perfect opportunity to present himself. Or maybe a "think tank" that appreciates my view points and will offer me a chance to sit and around get paid for thinking. Ahh, the possibilities are endless!

9:48 AM  
Blogger poet said...

just dropped by via lisa's page. don't wanna be tagged a lurker, even though i have been known to do that. have a good monday!

10:10 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

There are a lot of free tools that track visitor information, but they seem a bit big-brotherish to me. I just use a simple hit counter, and I haven't even looked at that in awhile. I do tend to measure blogging success by the number of comments, although I realize good writing doesn't always equal comments. There has to be a connection with the reader if you want more than "nice post" and some people just can't think of anything to say.

Lurkers don't bother me since I'm posting in a public forum - the ones that get me are the people who publicly post and do all they can to draw attention and then go "Ack! Stalker!" when somebody (meaning me) says "Nice post. I like your blog." I've had that happen so many times I adopted a policy to never make first contact. Note - I never leave a racy comment when I'm getting to know a blogger, some just look at my Satanic sense of humor and think "bad person = Internet stalker."

11:32 AM  
Blogger xwy said...

40spoet - Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to lurk anytime...although I hope you'll comment when the mood strikes.

Grant - You an internet stalker??? Nooooo, people really think that? I'm kidding...but you're right. I've had similar experiences with trying to make new blog buddies. It zaps all the fun out of it.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Mike Wilhelm said...

I loved this post. I just started my blog this year and I seem to have a lot of lurkers and very few comments. That's ok, because I am mostly writing for myself anyway.

I just randomly found your blog. I agree. If someone doesn't want to be read by just anyone, they need to gett off the public forum!

I enjoyed your post so much, I might 'lurk' for awhile, now!

10:09 PM  
Blogger xwy said...

Mike - Lurkers are always welcome. Thanks for stopping by!

10:41 PM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

I put up a post not long ago that was linked to by a very popular blog. I had over 700 readers that week, and was grateful that only a handful left comments. I'd have spent a lot of time responding to 700 people.

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home