Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Like the rain....

*This began as a post about how I would love to storm chase in the midwest, but I was pulled off on a tangent...enjoy the ride...


It’s getting ready to storm here. It’s been warm and muggy all morning. The kind of weather that flattens your hair and makes your clothes stick to your skin. It’s suddenly gotten a little cooler and the wind has picked up. The clouds have changed from big puffs of cotton to that dark angry appearance.

I love storms. The adventurous side of me loves to stand by the window and watch Mother Nature release her full fury on the earth. If the weather allows, I’ll venture out the front door to the edge of the covered entry to let the wind rush through my hair and feel the rain drops as they hit my skin.

It’s funny how thunderstorms are like our own emotions. Sometimes a soft, short shower to wash away the old and replenish the soil; sometimes a heavy downpour to provide a deeper cleansing; and sometimes a display of the darker side with whipping winds and stinging rain. No matter the type of fury displayed the ending is always the same. The grass is greener, the sky is bluer and there’s a feeling in the air that everything is, again, all right in the world.

7 Comments:

Blogger Monogram Queen said...

I love a good storm too, the wind and lashing rain and booms of thunder and flashes of lightening just awaken a wild, free feeling inside of me. I would love to stand outside naked in a thunderstorm sometime!

12:52 PM  
Blogger xwy said...

I'll finish the original post sometime. I have the same feeling...it's that tingling in the air...I don't know how it relates to stripping down but I have the same reaction.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Grant said...

I love a good storm as long as the power stays on. Without electricity, I have trouble finding a reason to exist.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Seven said...

Stormy,
Very pretty prose. Well done. I gotta agree with all 3 of you. I hate it when the power goes off. I want to stand and dance in it naked like Cakes and yes things always seem more peaceful and cleansed when it's over.
Thanks for sharing those thoughts. It was short but powerful/good ride!

1:55 PM  
Blogger xwy said...

Grant - I get the feeling you never have trouble finding a reason to exist...even without electricity.

Rick - Dancing naked in the rain, $0. Flashing the neighbor afterward...priceless ;)

Doc-T - I miss them too. The good ones always seem to poop out over Lake Lanier. It seems that many of us have thunderstorm fantasies....hmmm, there's a post in there somewhere. Thanks for stopping by!

4:50 PM  
Blogger xwy said...

Doc - A little east of there.

Denny - Ugh! They are so uptight!

7:12 PM  
Blogger Mike Wilhelm said...

I can't believe I found another storm chaser, at random! Cool post!

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home