Thursday, May 11, 2006

Another holiday is fast approaching. That means another frantic search for a present for my mom. She’s had a fairly hard life and its times like these when I look for things to get her that she would never buy herself. Some way to pamper her. The problem is that because she’s not had an easy life she is a very practical gift giver. For my 16th birthday she bought me a tire iron and jack for my car. Can’t get much more practical than that.

Because she’s practical and I’m more about whimsy and pampering, she’s managed to return everything I’ve ever bought her. One year for Christmas she told me that she wanted a new robe. It should be thick, floor length and she’d prefer blue. [I had learned to ask for specifics due to previous gift-giving failures.] I found one that was floor length, baby blue and so soft you thought it would melt in your hands. I could picture her sitting on the couch in front of the TV wrapped up in her robe on those cold northern nights. It was perfect. She was delighted when she opened the gift and I was happy because I had made her happy.

About a year later, I was home on vacation when she presented me with the robe and asked if I wanted it back.
Me: “You don’t want it anymore?”
Mom: “No, it’s very nice but it’s too hot.”
Me: “So you did actually wear it?”
Mom: “Once or twice.”
“AAAAGGGHHH,” I said as I slapped myself on the forehead. I had followed her instructions to a T but still failed.

I’ve tried other things but they never work either….
Pedicure – “I don’t think I’d like someone touching my feet.”
Massage – Again…other people touching her body parts
Facial – Skin’s too sensitive
Manicure – “Did you know you can get an infection from those?”

But this year, I have beaten her at her own game. I have gotten her the one thing that she can’t take back and I know she wants. I know she wants it because she asks for it every time I talk to her. I am buying a plane ticket home. She may complain about my hairstyles, question me incessantly about when I’m getting married and return or give back every gift I present to her but she’s still my mom. And I’m going home to hug her….as soon as she finds a break in her schedule.

8 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Aaaww, that's wonderful...and you're right...she's going to absolutely love it! I wish I could do that for my Mum too. Mind you, if I turned up, I'd likely have to chase her around the golf course. But that'd be ok, I bet she'd love that lol

3:56 AM  
Blogger poet said...

i'll take a spin out to see my MOM and bring flowers, and some of those lottery tickets you can scratch and "win". then after a visit , i will take some time to visit my mother in law's grave, lay a flower, and say a prayer. it is what i do on mother's day.

4:18 AM  
Blogger xwy said...

Lisa - lol I have the same problem. I can just see you in the golf cart chasing her around the course!

Poet - Lottery tickets! I haven't tried that one yet. Very nice of you to remember your mother in law that way :)

10:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My mom likes whimsical gifts and makes me buy stuff for her she wouldn't buy herself. She's smart!

This post deserves it so... awwwwwwwww.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Seven said...

My wifes mother does this same thing!
Anything we gift her with has something wrong. Anything!
GRRRRRRR!
If we gave her a big empty box it would be the wrong color! :-)

1:27 PM  
Blogger xwy said...

SJ - Your mom is smart. I bet she gives you ideas of what to get her too!

Rick - wrong color, too big, too small...I hear ya! You and your wife (especially your wife) have my sympathy.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

That's an EXCELLENT idea....what a wonderful present for your mom! :)

Me and The PK are taking our moms out for lunch...that's what we usually do for Mother's Day.

And, on a related note....your mom and The PK sound like they could've fallen from the same family tree.....EVERYTHING I get him for his birthday, he ends up taking back and getting the money back instead...even things he ASKS FOR. I just simply CANNOT win with him.

I feel like handing in my Visa and saying "Here...now go buy yourself something pretty." ;)

2:54 PM  
Blogger Monogram Queen said...

Awww have a good trip. Give your Mom a big hug and I hope y'all have a wonderful visit!

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home