Friday, May 19, 2006

Destiny, Chance & Reincarnation

Have you ever met someone and instantly felt like you’ve known them all of your life? It’s more than just having things in common. It's a feeling that that person was in your life all along…you just hadn’t met them yet. I have been lucky enough to have a few friendships like that. From the moment we met it was like we were old souls getting reacquainted in a new era. Like there was history between us before we ever said the first word to each other.

When I was younger I used to believe that this was reincarnation at work. That we had previous experiences together centuries before and that somehow our souls knew how to find each other every time they made their way back to earth. I used to wonder how we knew each other and what adventures we had together in our past lives.

Now that I’m older and a little less romantic in how I think about life, I wonder if it was just destiny that two like minded people who were both looking for a friend happened to be in the same place at the same time. A meeting left up to the chance that had my shirt been red instead of blue or had wine been ordered instead of beer, would have never happened.

I may still be acting a touch romantic. It’s probably just a result of chemistry and timing along with a few shared interests. But still it is kind of nice to think that there’s a larger force in this world pushing us all together. That meetings aren’t left up to chance. That the people in your life are meant to be there for a reason. Isn’t it?

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

They say that you get to know a person in the first second and everything after that is just more facts which won't really change your opinion. Don't know how true that is...

1:09 AM  
Blogger Seven said...

That is a wonderful articulation of a complicated thought. Mystery surrounds us. I find some comfort in knowing the mystery is there, but that it is accopanied by the 'good' forces you identify here.
Good Work.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Monogram Queen said...

I am a big believer in Destiny. For example from the time I was a little girl I always knew i'd meet my "Prince Charming". I never worried about it, didn't think constantly about getting married but when it was time I knew it and it happened.
I didn't know he would come zooming into my life in a racecar instead of on a white horse though ;)
Great post Angie and very well written.

9:43 AM  
Blogger xwy said...

SJ - Hmmmm. Interesting concept. I'm not sure if I believe that. I mean, I think you're cool but if I found out you knocked over little old ladies to steal the change out of their purse it would certainly affect my opinion. Of course, if you shared your loot with me, it'd probably change my opinion again ;)

Rick - Yes, it seems that we are full of the mysteries of life today, aren't we? Mystery is good. I think I need more of it in my life. Well, ok...socially. I've had enough of the "why won't this damn thing work" mystery for a while.

Cakes - I felt the same way as you when I was younger. After several years of Prince Charming not knocking on the front door, I started to doubt that he was out there. Now, I'm back to that "if it does, it does" attitude but I'm having much fun along the way! Glad you met your Prince!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

I've met people who I immediately hated as though they'd been fecking me over good throughout my entire life. Does that count?

2:41 PM  
Blogger xwy said...

Grant - I can always count on you for a different perspective. Nope, I think that's the a-hole warning system in your brain sounding off. You don't think you were destined to meet the J-bunny dentist????

4:00 PM  
Blogger Retro Girl said...

I've had that same feeling with a friend before..and also with my husband who started out as a very good and then a best friend before the romance blossomed. It's amazing...not sure if it's reincarnation, kismet, fate...but they say "when it's right you'll know"....and I'm convinced... :-)

11:23 PM  
Blogger poet said...

thought provoking post, angie. i believe that there is someone in this world for everyone. it just takes time to meet them. i have had the great fortune to have met my bestus friend and soul mate. it is when you stop looking and searching that it finds you. fate, love at first sight, every other cliche you can think of, hopeless romantic, i am all of that. have a good weekend!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I agree with 40sPoet, I think if you try too hard to find that special person, it's a long frustrating hunt. When you let life move you along it's natural path, they seem to fall into your lap.

A few times over the years I come across someone that I've clicked with straight away...women I mean...felt like I've known them forever, like they're on the same page as me etc. It's after I start getting to spend more time with them and get to know them better, that I realise they're not the person I originally thought.

As far as men are concerned, I've a friend I met online from England, who seems to be under my skin. He sometimes knows my thoughts better than I do and over the years it's become obvious to me that I HAVE to meet this man in person or he (or the thought of him) will always get in the way of me having any meaningful relationship with another man.

Wow, I just about wrote a post lol

4:07 PM  
Blogger xwy said...

RG, Poet - heehee. I started out talking about friendship but it's funny how we all take our thoughts to the ultimate destiny...our soul mate. Glad you both have found yours. I'm not exactly looking for Prince Charming, right now. But after so many years of waiting, I don't think he will simply knock on my front door on a beautiful white steed. Even if he did, I'd probably tell him to move the damn horse before it pooped on the sidewalk. Just kidding....

Lisa - You simply must keep us informed of the progress with the English man!!

jackt - Thanks so much for stopping by! I used to have a friend who believed that everything was controlled by Pepsi so I don't think your too far off in your belief!

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home