Saturday, June 24, 2006

2,996 Voices

I remember it like it was yesterday. It was a beautiful late summer day. The weather had no idea that fall was not far off - or it didn't care - as the day was warm and the sky was blue with just a few puffy clouds. I remember staring at the sky that morning and thinking how inviting it looked; begging me to remain outside entranced in its beauty. I had no idea how important that sky would become that fateful day.

Disbelief was the first emotion to set in. How could this have happened? Then I thought of my family and wondered, in the chaos that followed, if I would see them again. Momentary panic set in as I thought about my mom at work in the defense sector and then a wave of relief as my brain grasped for reality and remembered that she wasn’t at work. Most of all I remember watching the sky through the window that was just to my left and thanking God that the only thing I could see were big, puffy clouds.

I remember watching it happen all over again on the news that night. I remember seeing the debris cloud roll into the streets blocking sight of everything and everyone. I remember people posting thousands of “have you seen me” flyers and again thanking God that I knew where my family was. I remember being numb for days on end and wondering if life would ever feel normal again.

September 11th is a day we will never forget. We will forever remember where we were when it happened and how we felt in the hours and days that followed. This year is the 5th anniversary of that solemn day. A blogger, D. Challener Roe, is trying to put together a tribute to the 2, 996 that fell that day. If you’re interested in participating, go to his blog and sign up. He’ll send you the name of a victim and a link to a website that contains biographical information. I’ve also found that information is easily attainable just by goggling the person’s name. Your assignment is to pay tribute to that person's life, in any way you feel comfortable. Then on 9/11/06, we will all post our tributes - 2996 voices, telling 2996 stories, celebrating 2996 lives.

Please check it out and/or pass on the word. He only has 10% of the bloggers needed and could really use your help to make this a success.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'll post about this in my blog and try to get more people over there.

1:15 PM  
Blogger xwy said...

Thanks, SJ!! I owe you big ;)

All - I just want to make clear that the tribute itself should not make mention of the events of that day or the attackers.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Enemy of the Republic said...

I will definitely check it out. And I enjoy your comments on Grant's and SJ's blogs.

1:44 AM  
Blogger PBS said...

I will check it out, too. It's a good reminder for us all, thanks.

8:45 AM  
Blogger xwy said...

EOTR - Thanks for stopping by my blog & also for the compliment. I enjoy your comments as well. I'll surf over & check out your blog.

pbs - Thanks! It's a daunting task to commemorate someone that you didn't know but bloggers are such a creative group that I think we can find a way through a few kind words, a favorite poem or even song lyrics.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

One of the ladies on my blogroll lost her husband that day, her children lost their father. I will be sure to bring it to her notice and let her decide what or if she wants to do with it.

I'm off now to have a look at the site you mentioned. What an amazing idea to put this together.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Monogram Queen said...

I'm going to check it out too Angie that was a horrible,horrible day

9:25 AM  
Blogger Seven said...

OK, thanks for the head up.....on my way to check it out.

11:56 AM  
Blogger xwy said...

Lisa - Please do. I wondered how the family members would view this. I hope it's viewed in a positive light.

Cakes - Yes, it was. I wasn't personally affected and yet, almost 5 years later, I still have trouble talking about it.

Rick - thanks.

All - if anyone decides not to participate but would still like to publicize the effort, Dale has graphics on his website (like the one on my sidebar). Email me if you need the code for your template.

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home