Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Salmon Day

A big thank you to my friend, Micki, who finally got me to laugh last night by sending me the list of new words below (and one extremely funny soup commercial which I'm sure the fellas would find offensive...hey, it's not my fault if I can heat up a can of soup in the time it takes you to get it on).

  1. BLAMESTORMING: Sitting around in a group, discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed, and who was responsible.
  2. SEAGULL MANAGER: A manager, who flies in, makes a lot of noise, craps on everything, and then leaves.
  3. ASSMOSIS: The process by which some people seem to absorb success and advancement by kissing up to the boss rather than working hard.
  4. SALMON DAY: The experience of spending an entire day swimming upstream only to get screwed and die in the end.
  5. CUBE FARM: An office filled with cubicles
  6. PRAIRIE DOGGING: When someone yells or drops something loudly in a cube farm, and people's heads pop over the walls to see what's going on.
  7. MOUSE POTATO: The on-line, wired generation's answer to the couch potato.
  8. SITCOMs: Single Income, Two Children, Oppressive Mortgage. What Yuppies turn into when they have children and one of them stops working to stay home with the kids.
  9. STRESS PUPPY: A person who seems to thrive on being stressed out and whiny.
  10. SWIPEOUT: An ATM or credit card that has been rendered useless because the magnetic strip is worn away from extensive use.
  11. XEROX SUBSIDY: Euphemism for swiping free photocopies from one's workplace.
  12. IRRITAINMENT: Entertainment and media spectacles that are annoying but you find yourself unable to stop watching them. The J-Lo and Ben wedding (or not) was a prime example - Michael Jackson, another...
  13. PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The fine art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
  14. ADMINISPHERE : The rarefied organizational layers beginning just above the rank and file. Decisions that fall from theadminisphere are often profoundly inappropriate or irrelevant to the problems they were designed to solve.
  15. 404: Someone who's clueless. From the World Wide Web error Message "404 Not Found," meaning that the requested site could not be located.
  16. GENERICA: Features of the American landscape that are exactly the same no matter where one is, such as fast food joints, strip malls, and subdivisions.
  17. OHNOSECOND: That minuscule fraction of time in which you realize that you've just made a BIG mistake. (Like after hitting send on an email by mistake)
  18. WOOFS: Well-Off Older Folks.
  19. CROP DUSTING: Surreptitiously passing gas while passing through a Cube Farm.

13 Comments:

Blogger TammyJ said...

Whew.. having been out of the corporate world for so long now and looking to get back into it I am at least now armed with the terminology.. LOL.. thanks for the laughs..

Take Care

TammyJ

1:38 PM  
Blogger Grant said...

I think I read that Scott Adams, creator of Dilbert, originally created and / or compiled that list. I seem to remember it also included the term Yuppie Food Stamps in reference to the ubiquitous $20 bills spat out by ATMs.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Retro Girl said...

What a great list..lol. I can really relate to the first 8...I worked in a cube farm with a seagull manager in my former life...lol...(not anymore..since I said "so long sucka!")

2:51 PM  
Blogger xwy said...

Denny - Miss you. Glad you stopped by.

tammy - eeeewww...no, don't get into it. Run as far as possible in the other direction.

Grant - It's a possibility. You know how those email chains go, the author is never listed.

RG - I've had seagull managers before. It's enough to make you want to work at McD's.

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very thoughtful list, ang. impressive to say the least.have a good evening. poet

10:10 PM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

I'm kinda curious. Does anyone actually ever use any of these terms?

I've used 'ohnosecond' a couple of times, but I didn't get it from the office. I got it from another incarnation of this list.

2:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Internal Messaging- Using an IM tool to talk to a coworker sitting next cubicle.

Infernal Messaging - Mails that are sent periodically and promptly deleted by the intended readers. (Think dept newsletters).

Idiot Messaging- A boss trying to use a IM tool and sending the wrong person the wrong info.

Illicit Messaging- Trading adult pic thru messaging with a coworker.

Innunedo messaging - Passing on rumors via IM/email etc.

5:20 AM  
Blogger Monogram Queen said...

I love this list Angie! I have actually heard some of the terms. They are VERY appropriate!
Uh, i'll have a few yuppie food stamps Grant!

9:55 AM  
Blogger jazzi said...

LOL! I haven't seen these before. Great list.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Cherry! said...

I love it!!

10:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

roflmao, some of these are new. love it.

11:01 AM  
Blogger xwy said...

Poet - I just re-posted it from an email. Wish I could take credit for being that creative.

X - I've heard cube farm and prairie dogging before but most of the terms were new to me. Although, I get the feeling assmosis will become part of my vocabulary quickly.

SJ - lol, does anyone read department newsletters???????

Cakes - I know. I wonder if I can count learning new office vocabulary as a career development course?

Jazzi & Cherry - tyvm. I thought they were funny.

JD - Take notes. You'll need it for your grown-up job :)

11:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

NOOOOOOOOOOO, but i don't want to grow up... ;)

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home