Friday, July 14, 2006

Thankfully I Wasn't Naked At The Time

Picture this: Me, running full steam across my yard in a tank top sans bra, short shorts and no shoes. Why, you ask was I leaving my house in such a manner? To save a 10 lb. dog that was the bane of my existence when I initially moved into my house.

Brewster, the poodle mix in question, and his owner made a habit of using my yard as they pleased when I first moved into my house. One of my earliest memories in this house was watching American Idol on TV while, out of the corner of my eye, spying a man walking across my back yard. It was Bruster's owner walking him on a leash THROUGH MY ENTIRE YARD COMPLETE WITH NEWLY PLANTED GRASS SEED. We had a few small run-ins after that about the fact that my yard was in fact private property and not the community playground. After a while, Brewster's owner took the hint and Brewster has since remained in his own yard or at least his side of the street.

Today, the dogs of my cul-de-sac neighbor, which jump his fence and terrorize the entire neighborhood, decided to make Brewster the victim of their attack. The poor fella, out doing his business in his own yard, was being stalked. I watched from my window as the German Shepherd gave the Springer Spaniel a "watch this" look and took off full force for Brewster. Luckily, his speed and small stature allowed him to make it to the bushes before they could rip him to shreds. As I ran across the yard and street to his rescue it occured to me that (a) I had no shoes on and (b) I had no weapons to pose a defense if necessary. I arrived just as his attackers were trying to get through the bushes. Brewster survived without a scratch but obviously a little shaken from his experience. The attackers sulked off unahppy at their defeat. I tried to talk to Brewster's owner after the attack but he didn't answer the door bell.

I'm feeling pretty cocky having saved a life today and all. But it bothers me that (a) Brewster's owner didn't hear his agonizing yelps for help and (b) Mr. cul-de-sac neighbor doesn't seem bothered by the fact that his dogs terrorize the neighborhood (this is not the first dog they've attacked). Maybe I just don't get it????

15 Comments:

Blogger Seven said...

Maybe his Owner is dead inside the house?

1:18 PM  
Blogger xwy said...

Doubtful. Maybe he was in the shower? The wife is home now so I'm going to try again after work.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Phat Girl said...

I would call animal control....next time the German Shepherd could be attacking a child. Yikes!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Retro Girl said...

Yeah, good for you! I too say call animal control...and talk to Brewster's owner. They need to be careful and on the lookout. I hate neighborhood bully dogs...

Thank god they didn't attack you! (or anyone else)...

We had a mean, bullying, rottweiler living across the street for awhile...thank goodness his owner moved and took him with...It was trouble waiting to happen.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

you're a saint. then again, neighbor probably loves watching you run across the yard like that. hehe, hot!!!!

4:40 PM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

I've never doubted your courage, Angie, so I'm not surprised that you did rescue that dog.

But there's something kinda ugly here. You said the dog's owner took awhile to get the hint that he shouldn't have been walking his dog on someone else's property? And you have another neighbor that looses his dogs on the neighborhood?

What is it with your neighbors? What kind of street are you living on?

I have to agree with blueeyes in that if your neighbors cannot control their pets, you might need for some authority to get involved. Heaven help us all if they went after you or anyone else.

That's unreal.

12:55 AM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

Geez. Just notced the title of this post. You're right. Had you'd gone out nude, those dogs might have thought, "Ribs!"

4:21 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Brave thing you did there, Angie...good for you! We have dogs running loose ALL OVER our neighborhood and it really pisses me off. When I take Jezebel for a walk, all these dogs approach her and she freaks out because we can't get away from them.

And I JUST KNOW that, should she turn around and nail one of them, we'd make the papers (because she's a Pit Bull). I can see it now..."Pit Bull attacks dog"....when all along, the neighbors dog was the one who started it all.

Ergh.

7:09 AM  
Blogger xwy said...

All - I did call animal control after it happened and they did talk to Mr. cul-de-sac, which I'm sure made him happy. I also spoke with Brewster's owners. The husband was in the shower at the time of the attack and couldn't hear Brewster. The wife was horrified and said she had already been down to the neighbors several times to complain; that she'd be returning to complain about this incident; and that they needed to keep a closer eye on him.

X - You have obviously never lived in Redneck Kingdom. I'll post about it sometime. I do live in a fairly well priced neighborhood but on the outskirts of the suburbs. Sometimes I wonder if my neighbors have ever lived in a subdivision before. Growing up I was always taught NOT to walk through someone's yard because you spoil the hard work they put into it. So, no I don't understand it but obviously others weren't raised with such manners.

PQ - I agree. We both know it's how the dog was raised and not their breed that matters. I have a friend with a 90 lb. rott who is the biggest baby. I've also met other rotts that are uncontrollable.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

No video replays for us? I would liek to see you defending the weak and helpless. Maybe you should try to talk to the "attacking" neighbor after arming yourself with a gun?

I like German Shepherds.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i guess i'm the only one who focused on how hot you must've looked running across the yard like that. ;) yeah, i focus on what's important. ;)

2:00 PM  
Blogger xwy said...

SJ - Nice try. I know why you want to see the video. :)

X - True. I'll have to think up a special name for this subset. It seems to be caused by a lack of manners. Did you ever see "Son In Law"? Innnnnbreeeeders.

JD - So I'm assuming your imagination never let you get past the first sentence? I'll just tell you the rest of the story...I solved world hunger and global warming. ;)

9:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

whew, thank god. and looking so hot while doing it. ;)

10:43 AM  
Blogger Seven said...

Stormy Girl,
I can do the FAQ on nudism this week at my hnt locaton. Just shoot me an e-mail on the day you want to send folks over and I will coordinate with that date.

11:01 AM  
Blogger xwy said...

7 - Given my current state of mind....we may want to wait on that. I'm pretty sure everyone will be steering clear of me this week.

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home