Monday, August 21, 2006

Rednecks on a Train - Part Deux

Well, Blogger has decided that pics aren't necessary for this entry, so on we go...sans pics.

I strolled out to my car today and spotted something black on the floor of the backseat. As I bent over for closer inspection, I realized the object on the floor was my bra. Suddenly, the events of the night before came rushing back to me. Most strapless bras contain rubber around the edges to prevent accident slippage and runaway breast syndrome (where the little buggers jump ship and prepare to flee). After 8 hours confined in this contraption, I was dying to remove it. And did so....at a traffic light....in the middle of downtown Atlanta...much to the amusement of the man in the car next to me. His wife wasn't quite so amused. As Gary eluded previously, I stated I made it home safely. I did not state that all my clothes made it home in the same manner.

The ride on MARTA was actually fun. One word of caution: subway trains sway side to side during travel...kind of like a boat in rough seas...which was not really conducive to traveling with a bunch of drunks. Micki and I were fine as our buzz had worn off by then. However, the inebriation of the man in front of me was given away by his extremely bloodshot, half open eyes and his slow but comical reaction to the train's movements. I knew his eyes were bloodshot and half-open because he kept staring at me, unsuccessfully attempting to pull off that "how you doin" look while mumbling to himself. As we came to his stop he started to make that vurp gesture. You know...the kind where you're not sure if you're going to blow chunks or just burp? I'm just thankful he stumbled off the train before we got to see the finale.

We ate at the CNN center, which was sort of like a mall food court with access to the arena. I do have one question. This place has like 140 TVs all showing different CNN clips. I can understand why the volume isn't on but can someone explain why there were no subtitles or closed captioning? It would have been nice to understand what was being reported. {insert your own joke about media coverage here, I'm still to tired to be that witty} And they were selling 32 oz. beers for $5...what a bargain!!! Unfortunately, you can't take the cheap beer into the arena so we stood by the door still trying to down about 16 oz. of beer. Redneck rule #678 - They ain't no wasting no beer.

The concert was fan-tab-ulous. I've decided I need to download (legally, of course, Mr. FBI man) Dierks Bentley's CD. I didn't realize how many songs of his I knew...and liked. Kenny was like a mosquito on acid...I've never seen one person jump around so much. He sounded great and looked even better. I have a soft spot for singer/songwriters because of the passion displayed in their music. Plus, Kenny's about my age and never been married either (it doesn't count unless it lasts more than 2 months) so I identify with him and his I-want-to-settle-down-but-I'm-not-settling style of music. I'm pretty sure the many beers I consumed during the concert helped my singing voice as I appeared to be able to sing all the words to all the songs and scream "woooohooooo" at the top of my lungs without being told to shut up by the people around me. Of that, I must say I am proud! Fate did smile on me in the form of Uncle Kracker's appearance for about a half-hour set. I love that man's voice. I wish someone would give him a new recording contract.

This post has grown long enough....more about drunk teens, fake hooters, and daisy dukes later.

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I don't waste beer and I've never taken my own bra off at a traffic light...

with or without your bra, I'm glad ya made it home safe...

And you were just getting to the best part! I can't believe you stopped!

11:16 PM  
Blogger xwy said...

SJ - I am relieved to know that. It wasn't as bad as it sounded...it was an 'under the shirt' maneuver.

Gary - Whatcha mean? I'm the best part! lol.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh, were you wearing daisy dukes ?? If that's the case, you get FireFox and you'll have no problems uploading those pics for us! ;) *BIG grin*

8:06 AM  
Blogger Retro Girl said...

Sounds like you had a blast! :-)
I can remember some times like that...having to get more comfy on the way home LOL..

Uncle K. does have a cool voice...I only know one song..What genre has he decided on? (Wasn't he sorta a wanna-be rapper, then a pop-star, now is he country? I'm confused?!)

8:58 AM  
Blogger xwy said...

RG - Yes! Being girlie requires uncomfortable clothing sometimes...no shame in getting rid of it at first opportunity!

From what I've heard he's given up rap and really wants to stay with kind of an old Motown sound with a little side of Buffet. I don't think he could pull off country. They'd make him get rid of his gold tooth, lol!

10:01 AM  
Blogger Seven said...

It took you 8 hours to ditch it? My goodness, those little puppies need a vacation too! Let em run free and play.

11:33 AM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

Lemme get this straight. You took off your bra in your car? And then forgot about it? With witnesses?

Must have been a helluva night.

And don't get me started on drunk subway riders. I was out drinking all night with a friend who had to go to the bathroom like once every fifteen minutes (as they say, you don't buy beer, you rent it). He'd just gone before we left the diner, but he had to go again.

In NY, people sometimes take a leak between the cars in an emergency. Unfortunately, he miscalculated the length of time he needed to get everything out. Worse yet, the bars close at 4:00am here, and we took about an hour and a half at the diner. Consequently, when we pulled into the station, a number of fresh-as-daisies commuters got a second shower they didn't intend on taking.

Still, I'm glad you enjoyed the evening. Hope you have another one like it soon.

11:54 AM  
Blogger xwy said...

7 - lol. Yes, they were gasping for air by then. If it was just me, I would have had the bra off and been slinging it around like a laso halfway through the night. But, alas, you never know when you'll run into a client! ;)

11:55 AM  
Blogger Kira said...

Ok, that settles it...if I ever go to a concert, I'm taking you with me. It seems like the ticket to fun ;) Glad you had a great time! Bras...what do we do with them? Can't live without 'em, can't live with 'em.

9:02 PM  
Blogger xwy said...

X - omg, that's hilarious! Well...I'm sure the people on the subway platform didn't think so. Yes, I forgot about taking my bra off with witnesses. Things came back to me rather slowly yesterday.

Rick - I'm picky about my country...not to twangy. I could do Trace...no I mean I could DO Trace. You can have the Badonkadonk. That man is fine!

JD - How true! I think it's good let the redneck appear every once in a blue moon. All that repression can build up. ;)

Kira - You're on! One concert in the Carolinas!! I'd prefer to use bras as slingshots but society deems them necessary...ugh!

10:05 PM  
Blogger TammyJ said...

wow.. fake hooters, daisy dukes, and druken teens.. sure you haven't been in KY lately?... sounds like you had a great time.. good for you girl.. and as for the bra removal.. the guy in the car that was next to ya is probably still smiling..

Take Care
Tammy J

11:12 AM  
Blogger xwy said...

Tammy - I know, it made me a little homesick!!

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home