Friday, September 08, 2006

2,996 Tribute

This tribute is part of the 2,996 project established by D.C. Roe. This project was designed, not to relive the tragedy, but to celebrate the lives of those who were taken from us. 2,996 bloggers telling 2,996 stories celebrating 2,996 lives.


No person is ever truly alone.
Those who live no more,
Whom we loved,
Echo still within our thoughts,
Our words, our hearts.
And what they did
And who they were
Becomes a part of all that we are,
Forever.
by Richard Fife

Joseph Collison, age 50, WTC North Tower

He moved from Toronto to New York City to follow a dream. And did for 10 shining years. He earned the respect of his friends and co-workers. Wore colorful shirts and displayed a matching colorful wit. He loved his family and spoke of them often to his friends and co-workers. He was someone who always stood beside you; was always there for you when you needed him. As he was there for the little boy he cared for and hoped to adopt. His laughter still echoes in the hearts of those he touched.

There is a lantern from his garden that still shines brightly in remembrance of him.

I didn't know Joe while he was alive but from what I've learned about him while researching this tribute...I think I would have really liked him.

9 Comments:

Blogger X. Dell said...

The week of 9/11, I was working in an office that did business intelligence. The company had to shut down for a couple of days because Manhattan was quarantined, and under a state of quasi-martial law (administered mostly by the National Guard).

When I finally made it back to the office that Friday, we had the task of (1) letting our contacts know we were still alive, and (2) checking to see how many of our contacts were dead. And we had to do this carefully as to not arouse suspicion.

Most of my informants were in Houston and Calgary. The few at the WTC managed to escape, so I had lost no one. But by the end of the day, our company pulled fourteen files, each representig an informant who had perished.

It still irks me that everything about these people--flesh and bone human beings, people who just that Monday were calling the office--had been to reduced to a common manilla folder, the kind you can buy at any stationary store.

I think this tribute is a much nicer representation, and I hope that Mr. Collison's family takes some joy in your posting.

7:58 PM  
Blogger left said...

Thankyou for the link. Grand blog, btw.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Oh how sad that the was going through the process of adopting a young boy. That part really got to me.

I know you're not around at the moment but for when you return, I'll link my tribute for you here should you care to read it :)

http://internetloves.blogspot.com/2006/09/michael-paul-ragusa.html

12:22 AM  
Blogger Monogram Queen said...

Every one of these I read touches me ...

12:29 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

I'm enjoying your blog.....

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for honouring a fellow Canadian.

Mine is up.

5:30 PM  
Blogger xwy said...

X - That's the reason why I wanted to take part in this project. It always bothered me that these people went to work like they had every day but this time they didn't come home. It could have very easily been any of us.

Penetrating you - thank you for reading.

Lisa - I hope to catch up on my reading and commenting soon. I did take a peek. You did a wonderful job.

Cakes - thanks for reading

Laura/Teena - thanks for reading.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Teena in Toronto said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Teena in Toronto said...

I thought you might be interested in reading 10 year anniversary tribute in "The Toronto Star" about Joe Collision.

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home