Monday, February 12, 2007

He's Perfect For You....

Four little words that send chills down my back. My best friend is on a mission to make a love connection between me and one of the unfortunate single guys she works with (I have my pick of 2! woo hoo!). So far I know their ages and the ages of their kids. Umm...hello...I know more information than that before I buy a toaster...let alone picking out a date. The whole thing has that little voice in my head screaming "run away, run far away". When you're single it seems that everyone in your life wants to play match-maker but few really possess the skills to do so.

If past dating experience has taught me anything it's that the "friend set-up" scenario rarely works. There seems to be 1 thought behind this process. He's single...she's single...let's throw them in an enclosed space and they'll live happily ever after. If only it were that simple... Any zookeeper will tell you that throwing the male and female of a species in a confined area does not guarantee copulation (with the exception of a few friends that come to mind), let alone life long love. If you're extremely lucky the female won't eat the male whole. (Why is it that the female always eats the male? Have you ever noticed that it's never the other way around?)

Yet continuously we seem bound to this ritual. It's as if the joy of love is so strong that it overcomes us with the desire to ensure that all in the world participate in it, whether they're suited for each other or not. Hey...wait...it just occurred to me that the friends that always set me up are the same ones that constantly complain about their spouses. I smell a conspiracy.....

So what's your worst "set-up" date story?

8 Comments:

Blogger Retro Girl said...

Sometimes fix-ups can work. I once set up a date between a gal I worked with, and a guy who was my husband's long-time friend. The guy was about 7 years older, so I wasn't sure it'd work. However they hit it off immediately...and 2 years later, they married. To this day, they've been married 10 years and have 2 boys. So it worked out great! (I'm so proud of that one! LOL)

I always say...have an open mind and heart...you never know where love will find you....

Welcome back! You've been sorely missed!!! Hope you are doing well!

9:15 AM  
Blogger xwy said...

RG - I may come off a little bitter about the whole process but I'm really not...I try to keep an open mind about everything, dating included. One day it will work out. Hopefully soon...lol!

Missed you too. Tried to comment on your blog yesterday but blogger was being a butt again. Thanks for stopping by!

9:24 AM  
Blogger Monogram Queen said...

Please don't smack me but I don't really have a worst set-up story!

9:32 AM  
Blogger Seven said...

You appears to have arrived at a substantial point of ...AhHa!
They just want to have another to complain with and to.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Monogram Queen said...

Okay I can give you a bad dating experience. When I was in College my best friends new BF wanted to take us out to dinner to a fancy place in Charlotte (NC) which was less than 30 mins away. On the way to dinner he had to make a stop at a friends house. We stopped, he gets out, goes inside, a few minutes later he comes flying out,leaps off the porch and dives into the car. Gunshots ensue - AT US. I dove down into the floor, I was so scared I don't even think I screamed. I don't know. He hauled ass and luckily none of us were hit. I told him take.me.home. NOW. My friend, she went on to Charlotte but she did break up with him not too long after. Turns out he had a major drug problem.

3:08 PM  
Blogger xwy said...

Cakes - You may not have a bad set-up story but that other story certainly was interesting. Wow!

7 - Yep...that was my conclusion. I think I may be better off finding my own dates. :)

6:52 PM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Hey girl! You have been missed muchly!

Oh I had one of those "set ups'. My cousin's boyfriend had a "friend" that was "perfect" for me.

We had ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING in common....and were not attracted to each other at all. It was the most uncomfortable couple hours of my life.

BUT ON THE OTHER HAND, never say never...this "set up" for you may work out...he may be a wonderful guy with lots in common with you. You will never know unless you give him a chance! :)

7:21 AM  
Blogger xwy said...

PQ - Missed you bunches too! Been there...my last "set-up" involved a guy whose main interests were deer hunting and bashing his ex-wife. Now really...can you picture me in a tree stand??????????

Really, I do have a better attitude about it than I let on. If it works great...if not at least I have become an expert at making a quick escape!

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home