Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Another Lesson Learned

Yesterday was my birthday and like all red-blooded Americans who are deeply attached to their cars, I had to get my driver's license renewed. The DMV (department of motor vehicles) is usually #1 on my list of places to avoid but seeing as I hadn't updated my address (4 years post moving)...I had no choice. This also meant having a new picture taken for my license. I wasn't thrilled about it. Driver's license mug shots...err...pictures are notoriously bad. You're usually pretty lucky if it even resembles you. There's nothing like being asked to show your license while making a purchase, only to have the girl behind the counter giggle hysterically at the photo. My old one was pretty good and I really didn't want to give it up. But seeing that the girl in that photo was a fresh-faced 20-something I didn't think I could get away with it much longer. So, I spent a little extra time on my hair and make-up that morning and picked out a cute sweater to wear. Besides, a girl never knows where she might meet Mr. Perfect...right?

I signed in at the DMV and waited, along with the other 100 or so people there, to be shuffled through the system. Did I mention I waited? And waited? I went to the bathroom to waste some time, did one last check of the hair & make-up and made sure I didn't have anything stuck in my teeth. Nothing like smiling pretty for the camera only to have some remainder of your last meal make an ugly appearance.

Finally, it was my turn. Big smile for the camera. Done. I waited a while longer and then finally received my license. Hey...not bad. Eyes open...no goofy smile. Actually, it was a really good picture. Wait...what's that white stuff on my sweater....around the area of my boobs? It looks like....MY BRA. Yep. Turns out the DMV has improved the cameras they use. In fact, they've improved them so much that the flash snaked it's way through the fabric of my light green sweater and illuminated my white bra beneath. Now, every time I show my license, the person viewing it will also get a nice view of my bra. Victoria's Secret should pay me an advertising fee.

Wait. What's that sound? Ahhh, yes. The gods of the drivers license photos mocking me for being so vain. Another lesson learned.

25 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Oh I HATE it when something like that happens.

Hey, look at it this way...you speed, get pulled over and flash the cop your indecent drivers license and next thing you know, he's just writing you a warning instead. Of course, it'll be a drooled on warning but still...just a warning instead of a ticket! ;)

Work it, Angie...work it! ;)

9:53 AM  
Blogger Monogram Queen said...

Bwaa haaaa you need to post a pic of that, Ang.
Hey yeah what the Peanut Queen said. I bet it'll get you out of some tickets!!!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That was such a funny post. I have a simular problem with my work ID photo. They NEVER make new ones. My old one that I have to wear every day was me at 220 lbs with glasses and it had been a windy day (of course) so hair is a little bad to say the least...

Of course I just found out that they are doing a profile of the people in our department on the next company wide newsletter and they are using the images from HR to put by each profile... Isn't that just great!? My mugshot will be spread across 6 states!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh.... by the way.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

So how does it feel to be 21 again?

10:04 AM  
Blogger xwy said...

PQ - Ooooooooo! Good idea. "Hey, officer...can I interest you in some boobies?". lol.

Cakes - That was my reaction too. I started laughing when I realized what happened. I'm sure the others thought I'd lost my freakin mind. I'll have to see if I can scan the pic.

Gary - Ugh! I hate those work IDs. Mine doesn't even look like me. It's horrible!!! lol. I had that same thing happen once on an internal website rather than a newsletter. Nothing like having those co-workers who have never seen you think you're a complete doofus. But hey, congrats! You must've done something pretty good to be profiled in a newsletter!

And TY! Actually...I do feel 21 again...just with more $$. lol.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Rick said...

My bank put my photo on my ATM card, a really cool IDea. Problem is, they gave me the card in 1993! The kid at the cigarette store used to laugh at me every time I used it... 'cuz I looked younger than HIM.

1:28 PM  
Blogger xwy said...

Rick - lol. As long as I don't move or get married, this pic can be on my license forever. Another bright spot!! I can have the youngest looking license in the retirement home!

9:14 PM  
Blogger Seven said...

Is your long wait for a bra photo related to the button phrase from Monday?

10:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So can we see the photo? Please....pretty please with sugar on top :)

8:48 AM  
Blogger Monogram Queen said...

Dang I forgot to wish you HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Hope it was a good one (except for the bra incident)

9:05 AM  
Blogger xwy said...

7 - No, but it's fitting, isn't it?

SJ - Well....you did pick me to save from the giant atomic chickens...

Cakes - Thanks, hon. It was good!

8:53 AM  
Blogger Retro Girl said...

That's the kinda stuff that usually happens to me. *Laughing* (Sorry).

When I had to get my new Ky license when I married Mr. Hottie - I went down to our DMV and lo and behold who was there to take my picture and make my license? Elvis!! LOL An Elvis impersonator by night, DMV guy by day. (I wish I'd had MY Camera that day!)

8:33 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Last time I got my license renewed I had recently been seperated. My license was the one thing I hadn't changed from my maiden name...unfortunately all the ID I had was in my married name. I ended up having to prove I was my maiden name (if you get that). Once they were happy with that, I got the license in my maiden name and THEN signed it in my married name *sigh* It's caused me problems ever since lol

And a happy belated birthday to you sweetheart!

1:04 PM  
Blogger xwy said...

Sorry for the lack of posts...work is killing me lately!

RG - I know, that kind of stuff happens to me all the time. It makes me wonder what I did in my former lives to have to endure that torture. lol.

So Elvis has been at the DMV all these years, huh? lol. Years ago on one of my numerous trips to Ohio I spotted an Elvis impersonator driving a pink caddy on the interstate in North Georgia. Of all the times not to have a camera!

Lisa - TY for the birthday wishes. Yes, I understand completely....that whole "but how do we know you're who you say you are" rhetoric. Obviously the New Zealand DMV has been taking lessons from us!

1:27 PM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

Perhaps that particular photograph could get you out of a ticket or two.

Just be thankful that you weren't wearing anything sheer.

Although, I've had a license in four states now, I've always had a photo from the neck up. Why does GA want a picture of a driver's chest too?

Sounds pretty sleazy to me.

BTW, I've managed to avoid I-275 while I'm down here. But when I can no longer do so, I'm sure I will think of you.

1:09 PM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

Oh, and a belated happy birthday, Capricorn. Hope you celebrated well.

1:11 PM  
Blogger stephen said...

Happy Birthday
At least you had a bra on, their still a secret

8:43 PM  
Blogger xwy said...

X - I wondered about that as well...usually the pic cuts off around your neck but this one cuts off mid-stomach. Odd, isn't it?

Hope things are well in Cincy. I've been thinking about you...so you must be driving around 275!

And thank you for the birthday wishes

Stephen - Thank you. And yes, it could have been much worse I guess!!

9:58 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

Great people are always born in January. Happy belated birthday!

11:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

you didn't tell me. :( happy belated. that's what i get for being so damn busy. sorry hon. i'll make it up to you. ;)

10:54 PM  
Blogger xwy said...

Kira - Thank you!

JD - And where have you been young man??? lol. Hope all is well, hon! And yes, you WILL make it up to me. ;)

9:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

woohoo, i need a camera like that. ;)

12:15 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Did you disappear again??? Gone AWOL???

Wait...wait!!! Did you meet my sexy cabana boy and are now shacking up with him on the sandy white beaches of Costa Rica???

WAIT FOR MEEEEEEE!!!!! ;)

8:02 AM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

Sigh. She's disappeared again. The Net's just not as much fun without her.

11:49 PM  
Blogger xwy said...

JD - Your camera needs no help. lol.

PQ - Girl, you're the first one I'd call if I left for a tropical destination. Well, the 2nd...I'd have to call Charlie the cabana boy first.

X - I'm here, I'm here. I've wanted to post it's just that...well, the more you try NOT to deal with some things the more they stifle your creativity. All better now. :)

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home