Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Maybe I'l Just Ride My Bike

Ok, I was kidding about the sex tips. As most of you know I’ve been shopping for a new car. Recently, I bit the bullet and actually went to test drive some of the cars I had in mind. It doesn’t matter what the consumer magazines say if the steering wheel doesn’t feel right in my hands. Just to recap, the previous car post...I am into cars and the shinier the better.

Instead of doing a play-by-play of each dealership, let’s just say I drove a lot of cars. The main thing I learned is that the majority of car salesmen know absolutely NOTHING about the cars they are attempting to sell. I yearned for someone to tell me what tasks all the knobs and buttons performed. Someone who didn’t get a blank look in their eyes when I asked what size engine was in the car. Someone who could tell me about the telescoping steering wheel, the adjustable pedals, or the MP3 capable stereo system. Tell me why your car is so special that I should buy it over another. Nope, not a one could do that. I learned more off the invoices than I did from any of the salesmen.

My favorite salesman was the one at the Mazda dealer. He had an Island accent so I’m not sure where he was from originally. Rather than telling me anything about the car, he preferred to point out to me that Americans have “big bellies” from eating too much, live in huge houses and drive enormous cars. We frivolously spend our money and pillage our natural resources. Now read yesterday’s post before sending me hate mail. I don’t disagree that, on average, we eat too much and I don’t have anything against immigrants. Read my archives if you doubt me. But if you really want me to buy a car from you…DON’T PUT DOWN THE COUNTRY YOU AND I LIVE IN! It really just made me want to see if I could get the SUV I was driving to roll-over.

Now that I’ve completed my rant, we can talk about the cars. The only one that made me say “oooo, shiny” was the Charger. The only problem is that I don’t think I can get one with a sunroof (which I refuse to part with) at the payment I want. The Cherokee drove nice, has a classy type of “oooo, shiny” appeal and would allow me to haul junk around. I’ve learned that hauling junk around is a necessity when you own a house. But it has reliability issues according to the consumer mags and after the problems I’ve had with the current car, I’m a little leery. At this point, I have no idea what I’m doing. Sometimes being an informed consumer is a little stymieing. Suggestions are appreciated. Although…..man, I looked really good driving that Charger.

13 Comments:

Blogger X. Dell said...

It's your car, Angie. I don't think any suggestions I make would be all that helpful. If it feels right, if it has all the bells and whistles you desire, go for it. If you haven't found the right match, and your bicycle is working just fine, then....

I don't know if you ever thought about calling Click & Clack (the Tappett Brothers) but they get this kind of question all the time.

Just a thought.

2:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think i mentioned that we have 2 vehicles now. a 2002 hyundai accent (economy size car, which surpirsingliy doesn't feel all that small and has plenty of zzzzzip), and a 1990 ford ranger 1/4 ton pick up truck with a cap for hauling stuff. i have always been into shiny cars, and really like the old classics, as well as the remakes of same. but with fuel at $1.14.9/l (or about $4us gal) we have to use our heads when it comes to vehicles.

i see many women our age driving shiny SUVs like the toyoyta rav 4 or hyundai touscon, or the honda SRV. maybe that is something more to what you are looking for. or do you need big like the cherokee or explorer type car?

7:37 AM  
Blogger Seven said...

I'm thinking you would look great driving a dusty Studebaker.
As far as the salesman....there is a too large contingent of leftist Americans that truly do engage in hating our country on a daily basis and engage regularly in the negative conversation tenor of the salesman. My best guess is that he has had positive reactions to his stated position more often than not. Too bad. And good for you for shooting his pandering to the ground.

8:16 AM  
Blogger xwy said...

X - I'm not familiar with Click & Clack but I'll check it out. I think it's a matter of knowing that this decision will affect me for the next 4 or 5 years and I don't want to make a purchase that I regret 2 years from now. Although my current car has been a mechanics dream jackpot, I still enjoy driving it. That combined with the fact that I seem to be suffering from information overload.

Poet - Partially, my avoidance of small cars has to do with Atlanta traffic. If you've never driven through the ATL it's rather like being on the Autobahn with 50 million others...most within 8-12 inches of you. Since I can't avoid driving in it, I'd prefer to own a car that provides some chance of survival when pancaked. I have driven the RAV4 and it is near the top of my current list.

7 - Or I could just buy a used tank from the Army. This was the first time I had encountered such sentiments in real life and I was rather put off at hearing it. I don't think he stated it because it was previously successful. He possessed a very smug attitude and I really don't think he cared whether he was being offensive.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Retro Girl said...

Most car sales people shouldn't even have the job - they're nimrods. My hubby did all his own research behind the scenes, for his Chevy HHR and just walked in - pointed to the one he wanted, drove it and handed them his "homework" - research on prices, and what he'd pay. They took the deal. He got the car.

In my case, I did the same with the MINI I wanted, but when I got there to Cincinnati MINI, Amy (the greatest sales gal on earth) treated me like the queen of the universe, showed me every little detail of the car, gave me diet coke and snacks lol...It was a great experience. I can't say enough good about that Dealership (now the one here in Schaumburg IL needs to ramp up the customer worship a few notches...lol)

11:16 AM  
Blogger Monogram Queen said...

I am flabbergasted that the salesman knew so little about their products. Good Gawd! Yeah i'm with you on island-boy, he should knock off the american bashing or go swim back to his island! (No I don't care if I sound non-pc today) :P

11:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

car salesman are worthless. they expect the cars to sell themselves. i'd write a letter to the owner of the dealership where rasta man works. that's bullshit.

and yes, you'd look even hotter in a Charger, if that's possible. ;)

11:26 AM  
Blogger xwy said...

Denny - Wow, that's a great idea. If I was only more interested in one of the Mazda's....

RG - I'm finding your nimrod theory to be very true. After hearing about your experiences with the dealership in IL, I'd agree that they could benefit from some lessons.

Cakes - Go Cakes! I wondered if anyone would nail me for being non-pc but then again...I didn't really care.

JD - You're right. I probably should. I seriously doubt he's sold many cars, if any, with that attitude so he's probably very close to being fired anyway.
And thank you ;)

12:31 PM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I avoid car salesman AT ALL COSTS. I LOATHE the way the second you step on the lot, they stand over you like a friggin' vulture.

I have a Chevy Tahoe that I like muchly....and it's not really bad on gas either. And I opted for functionability over "bling"...we had to have something that would seat at least four people comfortably plus assorted junk AND would pull the boat we have.

Good luck! :)

1:15 PM  
Blogger Grant said...

Get the Charger. I've heard Dodge's reliability has been getting better. And you're right - it's sharp, has plenty of power, and the sooner we burn up the world's oil reserves, the faster the Middle East will fall into obscurity.

2:00 PM  
Blogger xwy said...

My Queen - Yes, I ended the day feeling very dirty...and not in a good way! I like the Tahoe. I may need to look at it but I think it's a little bigger than what I need.

Grant - Finally, a voice of reason =) Actually, if you don't get the Hemi the gas mileage is pretty good (17/31). And the 3.7L V6 is only a hair bigger than my 3.4L

3:02 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

lol @ Grant!

Good luck with whatever you decide to get. It's a rough road checking out cars isn't it? I don't know how many car yards I went through and how many test drives I did a couple of years ago before I bought my Laser. But I love my little car and was happy with the service I got from the salesman.

One place I went, the guy actually came out, leaned on the car I was looking at and lit up a cigarette, almost like "Hey, I'm so cool" bleech.

I've never been big on cars to be honest...I just need one that's safe and can get me and the kids from A to B. And I bet you really did look hot in that Charger!

6:39 AM  
Blogger mrhaney said...

i have only been to the dealership a couple of times in my life. the second time was a bad experience. i have the feeling that most of them lie. if you do your homework though you should end up with a good deal. good luck to you in finding what you want.

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home